FAQs About Child Visitation in Ohio

FAQs About Child Visitation in Ohio

It is usually in a child’s best interest to spend time with both parents, which is why the court often grants the non-custodial parent visitation rights. Many parents do not know much about visitation, or their rights to spend time with their child even if they are not the custodial parent. To learn more about child visitation in Ohio, take a look at the answers to these frequently asked questions:

What is Child Visitation?

A parent with visitation rights can take custody of his child during specific times outlined in the agreed upon visitation schedule. Most parents with visitation rights are given custody on alternating weekends, holidays, or several weeknights per week. However, the visitation schedule can vary on a case-by-case basis depending on the parent’s job, location, and other commitments.

Can the Custodial Parent Deny the Non-Custodial Parent Visitation?

Both parents must abide by the court-ordered child custody agreement that outlines when the non-custodial parent will take custody of the child. Unfortunately, many custodial parents think they have the right to deny visitation if they are upset with the non-custodial parent or if the non-custodial parent fails to pay child support. If this happens to you, it’s important to get in touch with an attorney. The custodial parent may be held in contempt of court for violating the terms of the agreement.

Can An Abusive Parent Be Awarded Visitation Rights?

Family law judges will not necessarily deny a parent the right to see his child if the parent has a history of abusive behavior. However, judges will most likely demand that visitations be supervised to ensure the child is safe. The judge can order a number of parties to supervise visitations, including trained professionals, the custodial parent, or even a trusted family member or friend.

Can Visitation Rights Be Granted to Anyone Besides the Child’s Parents?

A child’s grandparents can ask the court to grant them visitation rights if the child’s parents are divorced or deceased or if the child was born out of wedlock. A grandparents’ motion seeking visitation time may be granted if doing so is in the best interest of the child. For example, if the grandparents shared a close relationship with the child prior to a divorce, the court may believe it is in everyone’s best interest to maintain this relationship.

Are you anticipating a custody battle? If so, get in touch with the experienced attorneys at Adams Family Law. We understand the importance of maintaining a strong relationship with your child, which is why we will fight tirelessly for the best possible outcome in your child custody case. To schedule a consultation, call 513-929-9333 or email Steven@adamsfamilylaw.com.

Write a Reply or Comment